What are uterine fibroids?
Fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) growths in or around the uterus.
Fibroids can range in size from an apple seed to a grapefruit and may cause uncomfortable symptoms, including heavy menstrual bleeding and painful periods.
These symptoms may worsen over time if the fibroids are left untreated.
Women with fibroids may experience one or more of the following symptoms:1
- Heavy periods (heavy menstrual bleeding)
- Pressure or swelling in the abdomen
- Painful periods (dysmenorrhea)
- Urinating more often than usual
- Painful sex
Fibroids are common.
- In the US, around 70% of white women and more than 80% of black women will have uterine fibroids before the age of 502
- Each year in the US, more than 2 million women undergo treatment for uterine fibroids3
- 20%-50% of women with fibroids have symptoms1
1 Stovall DW. Clinical Symptomatology of Uterine Leiomyomas. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2001;44:364-371
2 Baird DD. et al. High Cumulative Incidence of Uterine Leiomyoma in Black and White women; Ultrasound Evidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;188:100-107
3 Marsh EE. et al. Prevalence and Treatment of Uterine Fibroids: A Survey of U.S. Women J Womens Health 2018; 27:1359-1367
Gynesonics, Inc. | 600 Chesapeake Drive | Redwood City, CA 94063 | (650) 216-3860
Copyright 2023 Gynesonics | WS 05195-002UK Rev B